How To Use Swedish Dishcloths + How to Clean Swedish Dishcloths
Swedish Dishcloths: How to use them and how to clean them?
So what are Swedish Dishcloths?
So glad you asked! Swedish dishcloths are an eco-friendly alternative to your dish washing sponges, paper towels and microfiber towels. They were developed in Sweden and have been in use since the 50s. Swedish dishcloths are not your average tea towels. They are a combination of a sponge and a dish cloth. They are very absorbent and dry very quickly.
So why is that a problem?
On an average, Americans spend $5.7 billion dollars a year on paper towels for home use. An average family uses two rolls of paper towels per week. A majority of this is used for cleaning kitchen, soaking up spills, sanitizing bathrooms etc.
On the other hand, we throw away 400 million sponges every year. 400 million. I am just going to let that sink in!
Most of them have plastic components and they take centuries to break down. They are treated with chemicals that leach into our water, soil and finally into our bodies.
Similarly, paper towels are dumped into water sources polluting water and that affects marine life and humans alike.
What can we do?
This is where Swedish Dishcloths come in. Swedish dishcloths are a blend of 70% cellulose and 30% cotton. They can absorb up to 20x their weight in water. They dry so much quicker than the regular sponges.
While sponges that wreak the environment, Swedish dishcloths are biodegradable, reusable
And affordable. A study says one Swedish dishcloth can replace 17 rolls of paper towels and they last up to 200 washes in the washing machine.
The best part of it is that Swedish dishcloths don’t go in the trash. They go into the compost. When it’s time to throw them away, just put them in the compost along with your vegetable peels, grains etc. With time, the microorganisms in the soil will break the cellulose and cotton into simpler components. It’s really that easy.
10 ways to Use Swedish Dishcloths for all your cleaning needs
Swedish dishcloths are soft and are safe to use on almost any surface including your skin. Yes, you read that right! They are a great alternative to wash cloths.
Below are a few ways you can use Swedish dish cloths:
- Cleaning glass, mirrors, and windows – Spray Windex or any cleaning solution and then wipe away with a Swedish dishcloth. You can also make a mixture of water and cleaning solution and soak the dishcloth in this.
- Granite countertops – Add dish soap and warm water to the dishcloth, lather and start cleaning. You would be amazed at how well this works!
- To do the dishes – Simply replace your regular sponge with a Swedish dishcloth. Voila!
- Sanitizing your bathroom – You can use these dishcloths to clean bathtubs, bathroom countertops, bathroom mirrors. You would be amazed at how well the Swedish dishcloth works. Its super absorbent nature helps you clean faster without wetting it a million times.
I usually go through one full roll of paper towel to clean and sanitize my bathroom. With Swedish dishcloths you can save one roll of paper towel and you can use the same dishcloth over and over! Given the fact that Swedish dishcloths dry so quickly, they work exceptionally well for these purposes. Just imagine the amount of paper towels we would just by using it only for the bathroom. This alone would save millions of paper towels. Just saying!!
- Cleaning your kitchen - They can be used to clean kitchen cabinets that collect dust and grease. Just spray a little cleaning solution and wipe away all the grease and gunk. The colorful patterns on the Swedish dishcloth add a wonderful dimension to your kitchen
- To dust wooden furniture and appliances – Swedish dishcloths works great at cleaning the dust on furniture and appliances. You can get into every nook and corner because its thin and flexible. The best part is it’s super smooth and it’s not hard on the surface. Meaning no scratches on your valuable furniture and appliances. That’s not all, it gives streak free cleaning!
- Washing your car – You can use it to wash your car exactly like cleaning windows. It’s super smooth and streak free. Your car is safe just like your furniture and appliances!
- To wipe up spills and mess - Swedish dishcloths do an amazing job at wiping up spills and mess given the absorbent nature of the dishcloth.
- Gardener’s friend – They can also be used to wipe off the dirt and stains while gardening.
- Cleaning banister and stairs – Swedish dishcloths work so well when it comes to cleaning banisters and stairs. The thin shape and its flexible nature make it so easy to get into the crevices and intricate areas of the banister.
They can basically be used for anything and everything. You can get super creative with these Swedish dishcloths.
How to Clean the Swedish dishcloths?
Now that we have saved millions of paper towels, the next question that comes to our mind is how do I keep them clean and keep using them over and over again?
The answer is very simple. There are so many ways to wash Swedish dishcloths and they are all super easy. Since they dry easily, Swedish dishcloths are less likely to harbor bacteria. So, wash them only when necessary.
- You can toss them in the washing machine. But avoid using fabric softeners as the chemicals make them less absorbent. Let them air dry after.
- You can rinse it out in water and let it air dry.
- Dishwasher is great way to clean them as well. You can just throw them on the top rack of the dishwasher, and you are good to go.
Swedish dishcloths can be used for almost anything from cleaning spill to washing your cars. They give streak free finish which is a plus compared to washcloths. It is always a headache to clean the lint leftovers while cleaning with a washcloth.
All in all Swedish Dishcloths are easy to clean!
In a nutshell, Swedish dishcloths are user-friendly, easy to clean, easy to dry and lasts for a long time. They generally last between 9-12 moths. When it’s time to throw away remember they are biodegradable and toss them in the compost pile. The never see landfills in their lifetime. Cool, isn’t it?
Now that we have analyzed almost every single aspect of Swedish dishcloths, it’s time to stock up on them and save the environment. The best part is Supra Endura Swedish dishcloths are available in a variety of fun prints and colors. Add color and dimension to your space by investing in the Swedish dishcloths and trust me you will not be disappointed!